Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Futility of it All...

This post is going to be so totally off topic. My husband and I just finished watching "The Kingdom." After watching it, I don't know......stuff just seems so insignificant. I know there's evil in the world. I know people in the mideast hate us "Christian" Americans. I know they think Allah wants them to obliterate all "unbelievers." But it's all just so futile! One line in the movie really got me. The scene was an FBI agent asking questions of an American living in Saudi Arabia whose wife had been murdered in a surprise attack the day before. His kids watched it happen. Needless to say he was angry...needless to say the presence of Saudi police made him angrier...and then he asked them this question, "Does Allah love your children more than he loves mine? Does Allah love your wife more than mine?" WOW! That one really hit me.

I'm not writing this post to start a political debate about whether the US should be in the mideast or not. I'm not writing this post to bash the religion of Islam. No, I really don't care to open those cans of worms. This post is just to voice my frustration at the whole business in general. In my own humble opinion it's pointless, it's futile, and it's not worth losing our children!

Ok, that's enough heavy for one day (and maybe one lifetime). Thanks for stopping by. I hope my outlook is generally more cheery tomorrow. :-)

1 comment:

Kate Olson said...

Wow, heavy topic! Stuff like that really does make you think - thanks for sharing, I might have to watch The Kingdom. Let us know how the challenge is going for you!

My Shelfari Bookshelf

As you can see I like to read lots of different stuff, but I lean most closely to children's/young adult fantasy. Long live Harry Potter!